Wednesday, February 24, 2010

REAL VERSUS FAKE

In a few hours I will be boarding a plane for Italy. Still humbled by this opportunity. So thankful for the great phone calls I have received this morning from family and friends wishing me well and praying with me. I am so BLESSED...more than I truly deserve. Thankful for a mother-in-law that came to help take care of the family while I am away. Thankful for a mom that gave me some "souvenir money" for my trip. I know that the love that I have from my family, friends and Lord is REAL...not fake. They all love me in spite of my faults.

I was reminded this week of what something real looks like and what the fake looks like as well. Many of you know how this Italy opportunity came about. If not...read this post. This week I also received another invitation to speak in Europe. This time it was in England. A very professional looking email was sent to me with details of the conference. The honorarium was amazing and everything looked exciting. Something inside me began to be pessimistic. It seemed too good to be true...but I also remember when the Italy invitation seemed too good as well. I convinced myself that I serve a big God and why should I doubt that He could send me to another exciting place. It didn't take long for me to have solid evidence that this was a SCAM. With the help of some friends and a posting by another speaker it was confirmed that this was someone's greedy attempt to make money. At first I was angry...then sad and then it just became a joke. Everything looked genuine and authentic. Oh...what a reminder that was to me.

We can be fooled so easily by things that look good, genuine and authentic but end up being bad, fake and pretentious.

My prayer for my trip is that I experience my great God in an amazing way. That God helps me to be authentic and genuine as I spend time with the women in Italy.

I know one thing that is always real and never fake. God's love for me. I am excited to share with the women how this amazing God pursues us and loves us with an unconditional love.

Please pray for me as I leave and who knows...maybe someday I will speak in England.

"Here I am Lord...send me!" (Isaiah 6:8)

1 comment:

Angie Marino Smith said...

Amen, Amen and Amen!!!!
Can't wait to hear all about your trip Joy...be safe, have fun and watch God work..."

Be strong and courageous, be VERY strong and courageous!"