Saturday, October 29, 2005

"There's No Place Like Home"

I am constantly amazed at the power of God. I am amazed how he cares about the smallest details of our life.

Every October, I try to find a weekend to drive to Charleston to visit family. I had chosen the weekend of October 21st. It seemed as the weekend approached I did not have peace about going. There were many conflicts with schedules and I felt the Lord was telling me to stay home.

I am so grateful that I listened. Sunday October 23rd began as a week of many struggles in my ministry. I began to doubt what God had called me to do. This resulted in a week of hard meetings and many many disappointments. I realized, I needed to get away and quickly rescheduled my trip. I am so grateful!!!

By the time Friday came around, I was ready to escape...but later realized that I wasn't escaping...I was retreating.

It was exciting pulling into the driveway of my childhood home and seeing the door open and the front porch light on.

I could see the image of my mother waiting for us to pull in and the excitement on her face when she saw it was us.

I suddenly felt peace. I felt like I was home and I knew that the moment I walked in the door, I would be surrounded by people who loved me and cared about me and supported me.

I had the best night's sleep that I have had in months.

I woke the next morning to hot coffee, a homemade country breakfast and wonderful conversation.

I agree with Dororthy in the Wizard of OZ..."There's no place like home."

I am sure by tomorrow when I load up the car to leave, I won't be completely ready to face next week's trials...but I do know...that whenever I need a rest...the porch light will always be on for me. ..my bed will always be ready...and a cup of coffee, a country breakfast and love will be on the menu.

I hope you have a place where you can escape for a retreat!!!!If not...I will give you my mom's address.

2 comments:

Chickadeeva said...

Your mom sounds cool. I did not grow up in a happy home, but I am making an awesome one for my daughter. Thanks for sharing :-)

Unknown said...

I am also constantly amazed of the power of God!!!!

Never doubt what God called you to do, He really DOES take care of every little thing,
He has a porpouse with EVERYTHING that happens in our lives,

God Bless!!!!