Friday, January 26, 2007

My Week in a nutshell

This week I had the opportunity to substitute teach 4 times. Tuesday I subbed for the band and chorus teacher. I wasn't sure how I was going to conduct a band...but I was willing to try anything. Fortunately, they have an assistant conductor...so all I had to do was keep kids from talking. The chorus students had a worksheet so all in all it was an easy day. Wednesday I found myself with 5th graders. One student thought it would be funny if he would scare the "sub" by pretending like he passed out. I came into the classroom to find him face down on the floor not moving. I ran to him and called out his name with no response. I told a kid to hurry and get the teacher next door. When he heard this...he suddenly was "healed" and made a quick recovery. I have a feeling the next day he spent some time in detention.

Thursday I taught 8th grade language arts. Another experience came when a student decided it would be cute to hide in a cabinet. Memories from jr. high came rushing back to me. I remember when we coaxed Allison Silverman into letting us lock her in her locker. I was scared when we couldn't get her out. He survived his time in the cabinet and I survived another day.

Today, I taught 9th grade science. What was I thinking? I was thinking that they would probably watch a movie. NO! I had to help them find objects that were either a compound, element, solution, homogenous material etc. Needless to say...I learned alot about science today. I also learned who is dating who, who is breaking up with who and things I wish I hadn't heard. It was a great week. I love it.

No comments: