Tuesday, August 07, 2007

My Pentecostal Experience

This past weekend we went to Chicago for Wally's High School reunion. Which reunion? If I tell you then you will know how old we are. Okay...it was his 10th...okay...his 20th...Okay...it was his 25th. Now just know what I married a much older man...so my 25th is...okay...mine was this year too. (Wally is 8 months older).

I knew that there was the potential for me to feel a little bored. I knew absolutely nobody. The social hour was fun and the meal was incredible. At about 10:00 pm I was wanting to go home so bad but I knew Wally was having a good time...so it wasn't about me. I decided to walk around the hotel just to occupy myself. I suddenly heard music, a lot of amens and I had to go check it out. I had stumbled on to an African American Pentecostal "Anointing " conference. I was intrigued so I sat outside and listened for a few minutes. He was enthusiastically preaching from Isaiah. I felt bad leaving the reunion so I returned. A few minutes later I excused myself again and returned to the outside door of the service. It was so interesting. I returned again, reluctantly to the reunion. I later told Wally where I had been. I said "Why don't you go and mingle with everyone and if you don't mind I would like to go and listen to this man preach. Enjoy yourself and I'll be back when the service is over..." I walked back to the service and I was invited in. As I sat down, a woman immediately shared her Bible with me. I was so impressed with her generosity. I thought to myself...do I do this in church when a visitor sits with me? The answer was no. I can't say that I totally felt comfortable in this setting...but I definately felt the love from this lady. I eventually returned to the reunion. I hope this church is there when we return for Wally's 30th.

No comments: