Thursday, December 24, 2009

I HAVE ALREADY RECEIVED THE GREATEST GIFT!

It's Christmas Eve and I have already received the greatest gift that one can ever receive. It wasn't wrapped...it wasn't bought at a store...it wasn't purchased online...it was given to me by someone who loves me more than I will ever know. God gave me the greatest gift tonight...He gave me an opportunity to be His hands...His feet...His voice.

It all started when we attended a beautiful Christmas Eve service. The church was packed and I found myself wondering how many were there because it was Christmas. How many came to please a spouse, a grandma or another loved one. How many only enter the church on special holidays. Then my mind wondered to their hearts. Do they know what they are missing? Do they truly understand who Jesus is and what He did? Then...God spoke to me. It was very specific. God asked me tonight to love on people who need love. Strangers who I do not know and may never see again. He gave me the idea to go and buy four hot chocolates and find people in charleston who need a hot drink, some food and Him.

We went to a gas station and picked up the four hot chocolates and two sandwiches. My mom suggested that we go to one place but I felt like God was saying...no...go to Washington Street. We prayed and found ourselves driving down washington street. We offered hot chocolate to one man and he said no. We drove a little further and offered food and drink to another couple and they also declined. Ashley then suggested that we park the car and walk up to people in hopes that this would be a little less intimidating.

We parked by a hospital and began our journey. The first man we came to on the street was very excited to accept the food and drink. Our attention then turned to a couple that was waiting for a bus. We offered them the sandwiches and drink. They were so excited. Ashley and I began talking to them and asked why they were waiting for a bus this late at night. She explained to us that she had spiked a high fever and was taken to the hospital by ambulance. After being treated and in the ER for several hours, she was released and they were trying to get home. They lived about 15 to 20 miles away and were waiting for a bus that would connect them to another bus and then another. God spoke again and said. Offer them a ride...do not be afraid. So...I asked them if they would trust us to take them home. They accepted and gladly got in the car with us. I was a little worried about my mom as she sat in the car and watched all of this taking place...but she loves like no one loves. She gives like no one else that I know.

We drove with Francis and Richard for about a thirty minute drive. We learned that they were engaged and planned to marry in a few months. We asked them about their faith and both had accepted Christ in their lives. Richard shared with us some concerns He had about some decisions He had made in his life and God's forgiveness. Soon the ride was over and we were able to drop them off near their home. They thanked us for blessing them on this special night...but truly...we were the ones that were blessed.

God is so amazing! I am so glad that he chose me, my mom and Ashley on Christmas Eve to experience this blessing. The pastor talked tonight about the innkeeper and how even though the inn was full...he was able to give what he had.

We were definately able to fill a phyiscal need tonight for Francis and Richard...but God filled a spiritual need in us. He showed us tonight how we can be used if we just listen. He showed me that He is still the God of miracles and will allow us to be on the journey if we make ourselves available. He showed us tonight that they are people in the world who are hurting, who are alone and who need to hear about Him.

I am so humbled that the creator of the universe allowed three women to partner with Him tonight in ministry.

We gave a little...He gave all. Tonight...as I try to come down from this experience...I am so grateful that Lord willing tomorrow we will awake to open gifts under the tree...but I have already received my Christmas gift...Francis and Richard.

Merry Christmas!

No comments: