Saturday, January 15, 2011

WE NEED MORE TED WILLIAMS MOMENTS

We all love a rags to riches story. We love watching ANNIE, we love seeing the underdog rise to success. As a country, we have all felt the warm and fuzzy from the Ted Williams story. I was driving to work at the homeless shelter when I first heard the news. My mind went several places. First...I too found myself caught up in the moment and the "oh our world is not such a bad place afterall" mentality. I began to get excited about how his story will bring the cause of homelessness to the forefront and how can we "capitalize" on this moment for ACCESS. I couldn't get to my office fast enough! I ran to my computer and began writing emails. I wanted to literally "strike while the iron is hot." Here is what I really wanted...I wanted a "Ted Williams moment" for the 48 homeless individuals that live at ACCESS. I wanted them to have their moment on Oprah and Dr. Phil. I wanted them to be discovered and to have their lives changed. I wanted them to be offered a place to live, a job...a second chance. In the last week, I have received more offers to volunteer then I can process. We are having a workday on Monday that is so full, I had to turn people away! I have never done that before! This is exciting...but...there is a but. How long will this last? I hope I am surprised...but I am prepared for the let down. You see...what the women and children of ACCESS need is...YOU...ME...US!

They need for us to come to the realization that our lives are not our own. They need for us to realize that they are hurting and need someone to walk alongside them. They need someone who is willing say "Let me help you...let me walk this journey with you...let me give you what I am able...let me help you bridge the gap...let me be your friend. Notice I did not mention anything spiritual. I truly believe and have seen it play out that what they really need first is to see that you care. I am a huge advocate for relational evangelism.

I am so grateful for the reporter that took time to get to know Ted. I am so grateful that he did not let any judgments or prejudices overshadow his kindness. He simply noticed a person in need and stopped.

So simple...yet so unnatural for us today. I love my job. I love the people that I meet. I love that in the midst of a busy saturday I have the honor of taking a dear homeless woman to lunch for her birthday. I love the fact that she is excited and doesn't care where we go. I love Jesus!

No comments: