Saturday, November 25, 2006

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE FAMILY

Another Thanksgiving has come and gone and there is so much to be thankful for. Family, friends, health, laughter just to name a few. We had family come to visit for Thanksgiving and a fun time was had by all. We spent the morning preparing a delicious meal including many southern specials and many of my grandmother's recipes. We tried to re-create her traditional meal. We had a few successes and a few failures. I learned an important lesson. If a recipe calls for egg whites...egg whites are very important. I set a table this year with my china and we sat together as a family. Minutes before eating I assigned Alex the job of praying for our meal. He went on the internet and printed the "Lord's Prayer" all by himself. When it came time to pray...he read this prayer. I have to admit that I was gratefule that my head was bowed. I couldn't help but giggle at his interpretation and pronunciation of some of the more diffifult words. He did a wonderful job and we now have a new tradition. I told Alex that as he grows and turns into a man...this will always be his assignment on Thanksgiving morning. I am going to tuck the copy of the prayer in my calendar for next November.

We did let go of one tradition. We did not wake early enough to shop at 5:00 am the day after Thanksgiving. Oh well...out with the old and in with the new.

The girls are actually putting up the Christmas trees today and I am feeling blessed to be surrounded by family.

I learned a really important lesson this Thanksgiving. It really is about family and the people in our lives. Everything else can be replaced. This week, I have been taking small baby steps to follow God in His calling for me to write and speak. I found myself evaluating my life and if there was anything in my heart that was keeping the Lord from using me. He quickly brought to mind a relationship that I was treating as "disposable". I had been hurt and I had almost written this person out of my life. He showed me that he loves everyone and I should as well. I knew that I needed to mend this relationship and let nothing stand in the way. Not pride...not the desire to be "right"..not even fear. I went that day and mended this relationship. It wasn't easy for both of us...but we both agreed that this needed to be done. I love this person and I am so glad that the Lord orchestrated this healing. He can do that for you too.

No comments: