Thursday, March 20, 2008

Handling Disapointment


My family has had a week of disapointments. My brother has been actively seeking a job after being abruptly layed off recently. Even though he is in no danger of being homeless or starving, he desires to be employed and back to work. He was given a very generous severance but still does not want to be unemployed. He had a job interview this week that looked very promising. Unfortunately...it didn't work out. Ashley suffered a stress facture and is possibly facing the possibility of being out for the rest of the season. My response to both of them was encouragement and the reminder that "God is in control." Today, disapointment came my way. It's not necessary to go into details but to say that I had my heart set on something and it did not work out the way I had hoped...okay...planned. Yes...I thought my plan was better.

How did I handle the disapointment? I'd like to say that I took the high road and brushed myself off and moved on. Nope! I cried! I locked my dog out of my bedroom and had myself a good cry. I went downstairs to where Wally was working and I cried some more. I went upstairs to my room again and yes...I cried. I am so dehydrated right now I can hardly type.

One thing that I have learned so far. Yes...this only happened an hour ago so I think learning one thing is a start. I learned how I wanted people to respond to me. I didn't want people to offer me advice, I didn't want people to hug me or feel sorry for me. I didn't even want people to offer my chocolate (maybe later) I wanted people to say I'm sorry, I love you and I'm praying for you. I even told my friend that I am not even at a place where hearing "this wasn't God's plan" is comforting. I believe it...I am just not there yet to claim it. Just being honest.

I know that I am going to feel better tomorrow. I'm feeling better already. It just made me realize how I need to respond to people when they face disapointment. Bye...I'm welling up again.

No comments: