Wednesday, March 12, 2008

HEART FOR CHILDREN

Sometimes I am asked why I work in Children's Ministry. Two situations came up yesterday that affirm that calling.

Both situations involved families being drastically altered because of a choice that an adult made. When I heard about both...my heart and thoughts went directly to the children. They are innocent and are many times the ones that suffer the most. My thoughts were..."wonder how the children are...wonder who is protecting the children...wonder if there is anything that I could do for the children." It makes me realize how many times their little lives are changed forever because of the selfishness of an adult.

I also believe that I have a passion for children because of the way I was raised and the influences in my life. In one of the cases...a child did reach out. They didn't reach out to the parents, grandparents or anyone else in their family...the child reached out to my mom...the child's teacher. He didn't want to talk to anyone else...he wanted her. Why...because she loves this child unconditionally. People who are trying to protect this child tracked my mom down and made sure she had access to the child. My mom made sure that she did all that she could to reach this child. Knowing her...there wasn't anything that was going to stop her contacting this hurting person. She was able to contact him and he knows he is loved.

My sisters are always sharing stories of how they go above and beyond to reach out to children Both have dedicated their lives to children and hurting people. My sister called me today and I could hardly hear. Why? Because she had takend a down syndrome child to a basketball game. The school was in the playoffs and she wanted to make sure that this darling girl had the same experience as the other children. If there are children in your life...love them...protect them...and do whatever it takes to make sure they have a great day today...and tomorrow.