Thursday, April 17, 2008

LEARNING FROM KINDERGARTNERS

There is a book titled "Everything I needed to know I learned in kindergarten." I've never read the book so I am not sure what it is about. I don't know why this book crossed my mind the other day but as I was thinking about it I took it one step further. Everything I learned about following Christ I learned from a kindergarten class.

See what I mean:

Evangelism/Servant- I love it when I am teaching kindergartners and I ask for volunteers. All 22 hands will go up even before they know what the task is. It reminds me of what Isaiah said to God when God needed someone to "send" . Isaiah said "send me" They are quick to volunteer and serve. They find joy in the simplest of tasks.

God's Love - The other day a child began to cry in class. When I asked him why he told me that he was missing his mom. I told him that I was a mom and would he feel better if I gave him a "mom hug." This turned into 21 other children missing their moms and all in need of a hug. One child began to cry because he missed his cousin. I explained to them that it had to stop and we we're not going to focus on all of the people (dogs, grandmoms, aunts, neighbors...) that they were suddenly missing. We all feel lonely at times. Sometimes all we need is someone to come alongside us and reach out to us. God calls us to reach out to those who are in need and hurting.


Forgiveness: On a daily basis a kindergarten teacher will hear "he won't share...he won't play with me...etc. They will have their spats...get over it and return to playing with that child. They are quick to forgive and forget. Kindergarteners don't hold grudges.


Teaching/Wisdom: The other day I was doing a puzzle with a few kindergarteners. I thought I knew for sure where a piece went but I was quickly corrected by a 5 year old. I said "how about that...you are smarter then the teacher." "Yep" he replied...even though you've been on this earth a lot longer...I am smarter." Age doesn't always make us smarter. No matter what age we are, we can learn from those who are younger.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Joy, you are a blessing to everyone who has the pleasure of meeting you. His word says "Let the little children come to me". They have such faith and he smiles every time he sees you helping to lay the foundation. The kindergarteners you are writing about love you so much and they do not even realize that you are helping to save their lives in the process...Praise be to God!