Monday, December 01, 2008

THE MANGER

We just returned from a wonderful holiday weekend in West Virginia. We had a ball spending time with family. We had 16 people for dinner. Yummo!!!

A tradition was changed this year and we did not wake up at the crack of dawn to hit the mall. You know what? That was okay!!! We slept in and ventured out at a reasonable hour.

It was fun decorating mom's house for Christmas and putting up the beautiful red and white tree.

As we were unpacking I found the nativity set that we had when we were small. It is ceramic and each piece is handpainted with detail.

I found the cradle but I could not find baby Jesus. I am sure it is packed in a separate box or possibly even lost. I remember as a child we would always hide the baby Jesus and replace it with a small army guy or my favorite...the rubber cookie monster. We were mischevious pastor's kids.

This behavior might be expected of children but it reminded me that even as adults we sometimes take Jesus out of the manger and replace Him with other things.

My prayer is that this Christmas I do not get caught up in the holiday and forget the true meaning. Ashley and I were walking through the mall and commenting on how stressed everyone looked. They weren't smiling...they were frowning and looked tired and weary. We made a point to smile at people and to encourage tired clerks.

God, please keep me focused this holiday. Let me not take my eyes off you.

One more thing...

The other day I was asked what God was teaching me.

I am not one who cries easily....really...but I broke down and said...simplicity.

GOd is teaching me patience and the importance of the simple things. I have a plan. I want to simplify my life and rid myself of "things".

I am going to start selling tons of stuff on craigs list. I am talking longaberger baskets, home dec items, jewelry, clothes. If I don't need it, use it and if it's not nailed down...it's going.

If you want to view my items...let me know.

No comments: