Thursday, January 15, 2009

WHAT IS YOUR ROLE AS A PARENT?

The other day in church our Pastor told a story about a very special game. A team who was vey accustomed to winning was playing a team that had not experienced a great season. The parents on the winning team made a decision to do something very special...they decided to cheer for the team that was "losing." They began to cheer for them which took the team by surprise. In the end...they did not win...but they felt like winners. What a great testimony. It was no longer about the score on the scoreboard...but the attitude of the heart.

For some reason this story reminded me of my athletic experience. Let's begin by saying it was a very short season for me. My first attempt at sports was girls basketball in elementary school. I was so nervous and excited the first time I got the ball that I scored two points...for the other team. Okay so maybe basketball wasn't my sport. The other team loved me though. I then moved on to cheerleading. There is one very important thing a cheerleader needs to know...rules of the game. I was a cheerleader for basketball and soon realized no one on the squad knew the game. My dad would sit in the stands and tell us when to cheer "go defense" or "go offense." He would tell us when to cheer "score two points" or "rebound." One time he couldn't make it to the game and we were in big trouble.


That is such a beautiful example of a parent's role. We need to be our kid's biggest cheerleader. We need to sometimes sit in the stands and tell them which way to go and we need to be there when they feel like they have failed and scored a point for the other team.

No comments: