Sunday, May 21, 2006

MY GRANDMOTHER IS WITH JESUS

This morning at 3:00 am the phone rang. My mom called and said "We're losing her." We were losing my grandmother.

Nee had fallen Friday and sustained a bad break to her hip. The doctors operated on her saturday and we all felt hopeful that she had pulled through.

After surgery, she was sitting up in bed joking with everyone. I even had a chance to talk to her. If you know me well, you know that I use humor to get me through tough situations. She was 87 and I told her that if she had begun dating again like I had advised her...this fall would never have happened.

She laughed.

At 3:15am, she took her last breath and stepped into eternity with Jesus. That brings me comfort.

I know this because several years ago she went through Judgement House and professed her faith in Jesus. Her counselor told me the next week and I rejoiced. We no longer had to question where my grandmother would spend eternity.

I am sort of in shock right now. I can't imagine driving to Charleston today and not going to her house for dinner. She showed how much she loved you with food. She was a wonderful cook. I can't imagine going to the auction without her.

After each ballgame, Alex would call her and tell her how many hits he had. She paid $5 per hit. We never had the chance to tell her that Alex had 3 hits on Saturday.

I loved her so much...I can't explain. Her unconditional love for people and her heart to serve was amazing. Her funeral will be huge. The place will be packed. I can't wait to hear the stories of how she touched the lives of people. The saddest person will be an autistic boy named Eddy. Eddy lived across the street from where my grandmother worked. Everyday he would come over and she would fix him lunch and send him home with dinner. Eddy watched my grandmother enter her place of work each day. He wanted to make sure she arrived safely.

Pray for our family as we say goodbye to this dear dear lady.

Her name was Edna Fields.

1 comment:

Angie Marino Smith said...

Joy, sorry to hear about your Grandma...but what great news to hear that she is with our Lord! I will be praying for you & your family...we love you, Angie