Thursday, July 20, 2006

LIFE LESSONS FROM OUR CHILDREN

I am amazed of how quickly God sometimes gives us situations where we have to really think of how we are going to respond. In my blog yesterday, I mentioned how God showed me that true ministry is really about loving people.

Last night, my son Austin, came home from the neighbors in tears. He had went over to invite his friend to sleep over. I am not sure what led up to this, but the little boy slammed the door in his face and chipped his front tooth! Not a little chip, but half the tooth is gone. I did what any good Christian mother would do...I sent my husband over, with the tooth, to talk to the parents.

After a few minutes, I went outside. The 2 boys and their dads were calmly talking about the situation. I just stood there with my arms folded across my chest. I am sure my body language spoke for itself. As we were leaving...Austin asked if the little boy could still sleep over. I said emphatically...NO!

I was amazed at how quick Austin forgave this little boy. I was also amazed at how he wasn't bothered about the fact that he only had half a tooth. Maybe for boys this is some sort of badge of honor.

I called the dentist and he explained to me that this could be a simple fix or sometimes a long more expensive fix. What do I do? I need to remember what I learned at Wet and Wacky. Ministry is about loving people. How do I love in the midst of my anger and frustration. How do I love knowing that this could cost us alot of money and Austin pain. I need to really pray about my attitude and let God be God in the midst of this. I mean it is only a tooth. I need to keep in perspective that this is a family that doesn't know the Lord. I know this because of some conversations that we have had. She has attended a women's event with me and this lead us to some conversations on spiritual matters.

So this is my dilemma.

One more question to ponder. Does the tooth fairy visit for half a tooth.

No comments: