Saturday, September 09, 2006

JUST CALL ME MRS. T.

Yesterday I received my first call to substitute teach. The call came at 6:30 am for me to report to a 4th grade class at 7:25. I was so excited. I even curled my hair. I felt like it was the first day of school.

I reported to my classroom and found the lesson plan. Yes, they actually expect subs to teach. I had to teach math and social studies twice. I thought...how hard can it be? How many of you remember the difference between a parallelogram, a concave or comvez polygram. Do you know what a trapezoid is? I didn't. I tried to look on the computer, but I didn't know how to log in. I wasn't sure what I should do. Maybe I should be the "cool" sub and blow off any work and just play games.

I decided to frantically search the textbook and I finally found definitions that I could use.

In came my class. Smiles came on their faces as they realized there was a sub. I remember my days in school. We loved the subs. We assumed that they didn't know anything. If they did...why weren't they full time teachers. ha ha

I greeted each child and told them who was in charge. No not really..I told them if they behaved I would give them candy. It worked.

I had a great day. I taught for 2 hours. Hada 2 hour break and taught for 2 more hours. You have to love lunch, recess and art right in a row.

I was exhausted when I got home. Next time...I will wear more comfortable shoes...and bring more candy

No comments: