Thursday, September 21, 2006

WHY AM I RUNNING?








That's a question that I ask myself everytime I leave to run. I am training to run a 5K October 14th with my best friend Sandi. Oprah has Gayle...I have Sandi. She asked me to do this with her and I said yes without thinking. When I began...I could barely run 1 minute...now I am up to 24 minutes. Each time I leave to run, I ask God to give me feet with wings because I know there is no way I can do this on my own. Usually, in the middle of my run, I think about quitting. Who would know...I would...and of course God. So why do I do it?

1) I do it first and foremost for God. Everything I do... I need to bring glory to Him. It's a time that I spend in worship as I listen to praise music the entire time. There have even been times that I have ran a short distance with my hands stretched out to him. He energizes me.

2) I do it because it has taught me to be disciplined. I know I have to do this if I want to finish the race. You can't train for one day. Especially if you are as out of shape as I was.

3) I do it for all the women who have been and who will be diagnosed with breast cancer. Each time I think about quitting, I think about each woman, in the midst of her chemo and radiation, who wants to quit. I think of my mom who faced her cancer with grace and with determination. She didn't quit and neither will I. I am excited about running the Susan B. Komen Breast Cancer run on October 14th. I am excited to run alongside women who are the most courageous and awesome women you will ever meet. I am excited to run in the midst of pink shirted women who's shirt symbolizes their survival of breast cancer.

1 comment:

Angie Marino Smith said...

Run Forest Run!!!!!!
I'll be cheering you on Joy!!!!
You can totally do this!!!!!!!