Thursday, August 21, 2008

EDNA'S SECOND HELPIN'


Two years ago my grandmother went home to be with her Lord. It was a huge loss for our family. We mourned her passing for a long time and still miss her very much. My grandmother was truly one of a kind. She had such a big heart and always would "cheer" for the underdog. She gave generously of herself, her cooking, her money and her time. We believe we have found a way to keep her memory alive and her legacy will continue. My mom has established the "Edna's Second Helpin'" fund. Why the name? Her name was Edna and you could never leave her kitchen without a "second helpin'" of whatever she was cooking. She made you eat until you were ready to bust. She also believed that everyone deserved a "second chance." The fund will be used to help people who are deserving of "a little help." It is not a "handout" but a helping hand. I was so excited when I asked the team if we could help a soldier I know who served in Itaq. He is experiencing many health difficulties because of his deployment. I am so grateful that my grandmother showed each of us the importance of giving back.

No comments: