Tuesday, August 26, 2008

THIS WEEK'S DEVOTION

A common theme has been going through my mind the last couple days "Am I my brother's keeper?" The Bible asks us this question as well. What is my duty to my fellow sister or brother? Not just my biological family...but my neighbors, my friends, people...I don't even know.

The other day I was with my son and we stopped at a gas station for gas. As we were driving away I looked over and 2 grown men were fighting. I don't mean with words...they were punching and hitting each other. My motherly instinct kicked in (and my possible stupidity). I pulled my car up beside them and said "Stop it you two...or I'm calling the police". They stopped and I drove away. I asked my son if that scared him and he said yes...not the fighting...you scared me when you yelled!

I felt safe because I was in my car and I knew I could getaway fast if needed. Why did I do that? Why did I feel the need to break up the fight? I guess it was because I cared about two people that I had never met. (especially the little man...he did not stand a chance) Now...I promise not to make a habit of breaking up fights between strangers...but I do want to make it a habit to care about people that I don't event know. I don't want to ignore people who are being treated unfairly. I don't want to ignore the unloved, the forgotten and especially the unchurched.

This brings me to my next conviction that I cannot get off my mind. Sunday I watched the Olympic Closing ceremony. It was amazing. The creativity, the organization, the splendor, etc. I thought China did an amazing job with the olympics and showcasing their city. An hour later it was over and to me it became a nice memory.

I went to bed that night and wondered how much it cost to put on the closing ceremonies. How many millions were spent! What if...at the next olympics...the closing ceremony was simplified. What if it was all about the athletes and not the hosting country. What if a majority of the money spent went to help build water systems for rural villages. What if the money went to feeding those who are starving. What if the host country used the money to save the children...those with AIDS, etc.

The olympics is special because for 2 weeks we come together as a world. How cool would it be if the host country became a catalyst for change and used the closing ceremony budget to keep this unity going. Are we our brother's keeper? I think yes!

No comments: