Friday, August 29, 2008

Fabulous Finds Friday

Things that make my life easier and better are what I consider fabulous finds.

This week it is all about family.

We are leaving tomorrow to spend the labor day weekend with family. 50 of them! That's right...we are having our first annual BUMPUS FAMILY REUNION. (don't make fun of the name...I have heard them all).


I can't wait for my kids to meet cousins they have never seen before. We are scattered around 5 states and are rarely in WV at the same time. This wasn't always the case. We all have wonderful memories of Christmas eve when we would all gather at my grandparent's house (ma and pa). The house was small and tight. The grandchildren would usually escape to the "parlor" and make crank phone calls.

I want my kids to learn about the legacy that was given to them. I am most proud of the people in my family who have dedicated their lives to ministry.

My great-grandfather was a circuit rider. He would ride from town to town on horseback to share the Gospel. Stories are often shared of how it would be so cold that he had to chisel his feet from the stirrups. I actually have a copy of the last sermon he preached.

My great uncle was a pastor and had a radio show called "The Sweet Hour of Prayer".

My dad was an evangelist and youth leader for many years.

My cousin is the pastor of Freedom Baptist Church. My other cousin and cousin's husband are both part-time pastors.

How do you have this legacy and not make it part of the reunion? You don't. That is why we are incorporating a worship service as part of the reunion.

Lots to do and lots to pack. I will share details when I return.

What is your legacy going to be?

2 comments:

Speaking Thru Me Ministries said...

that sounds like the coolest weekend!!!!! Oh wow - i hope you have so much fun!! take good pics!! love, Leigh

Karen Hossink said...

That sounds like a wonderful reunion!!! I am sure you will have a great time.
Though my kids don't have a family history like yours, I aim to leave a legacy of a mom who was fully devoted to Christ. I want to show them nothing is impossible with God, and He is worthy of all our trust and adoration. My kids know I am not perfect, and I pray they'll see the grace of God flowing to me and through me, and thereby understand that being broken - in God's hands - is a wonderful place to be.
That's the legacy I want to leave!