Monday, February 09, 2009

Juiceboxes and Jesus - Devo #2 - ALWAYS ROOM FOR ONE MORE


Who takes care of mom when she is sick? I remember one time while living in Colorado when I was really sick. I couldn't keep any food down and I had absolutely no energy. As a mom of three it was almost impossible to keep a clean house and take care of my infant son, toddler daughter and school age daughter. I finally gave in and went to the doctor knowing this was probably some sort of flu bug or virus. The doctor insisted that I have some blood work done so I agreed to speed up the process of the exam. Minutes later the doctor came in and gave me a hug. Yep..I thought to myself...I must be dying. Why else would she come in and give me a hug. "You are pregnant she said!" Congratulations! What...no...it's the flu. I told her I wanted a second opinion. She laughed and said "okay...my first opinion is that you are pregnant and my second opinion is that you will be a mom again in 8 months." I left her office not with an antibiotic...but with pre-natal vitamins. I was shocked. I mean... I had only planned to have 3 children. Four children seemed unrealistic to me. I got in my van to leave and suddenly turned around and began to count the seats in the van. One..two..three..four..five...and six. I guess we do have room for one more. Several weeks later I began to have symptoms of possibly miscarrying #4. I remember sitting in the hospital with a Air Force Colonel bedside offering me the option of ending this pregnancy now. My answer was NO! I told him as long as there is a heart beat...there is a baby. Seven months later a beautiful bouncing boy was born. God had a different plan then we did and yes...there was room for one more.

When I think back to this story I am reminded of how God loves each one of us and there is always room for one more in His kingdom. Scripture tells us that He will even "leave the 99...to go after the 1."

His love has no boundaries...His plan is perfect...He knows what's best."

As a mom who is older now and maybe a little wiser, I realize that His plans are best...not mine. His timing is perfect...not mine. He needs no second opinion.

No comments: