Sunday, February 08, 2009

JUST THE WAY I AM


Yesteday I had an opporunity to go to a wonderful fundraiser for Hattie Larlham. It included a wonderful lunch, fellowship with some great ladies and a fashion show. I love fashion and was excited to see what's in and what's out. I'm sure over half my wardrobe is out. The fashion show began and I found myself not paying attention to the clothes...but to the models. As each model came on stage my self-esteem began to get smaller and smaller. I watched each lady go by and I found myself feeling inadequate. Then I was reminded of who made me. God! Scripture reminds me that I am "fearfully and wonderfully made." Better yet...I am made in His image. Suddenly I began to enjoy the clothes again and truly needed to be reminded of what God sees. Yes...I do need to lose weight...but not for vanity...for health. It reminded me of what our young girls are going through. They are bombarded with images that they will never be able to live up to. That is why I am passionate about teaching young girls and women what true beauty is and where true beauty comes from.

I am passionate about SecretKeeper Girls. If you read this and know of a young girl that needs to hear this message invite them to this incredible event.

My fashion show incident also reminded me of that children's book that I wrote on this very topic. Next week I have challenged myself to do one thing that takes this book one step closer to being published.

Your prayers would be appreciated.

1 comment:

Angie Marino Smith said...

Joy, that is so true!!!!
I don't think I told you this but I started a Secret Keeper Girl bible study at Mosaic! We are all going to Dannah's event in April if your interested...in fact, you should come and be special speaker at one of our meetings...now I think that's a great idea...
We meet once a month so I'll let you know when would be a good time for you to speak-you interested?