Friday, July 11, 2014

I AM A BAD NEIGHBOR!!!!

Have you ever been taught a lesson so profound, there was no way you could see it any differently. Let me explain. We live in a pretty average neighbourhood. Very friendly and full of families. I have often felt burdened to reach out more amongst the neighbours, but soon become busy and the thought passes without action. Of course, there are the obvious times like Christmas where we each begin to be a little more thoughtful and giving. That is me. I bake cookies for all the neighbours, but never entertain the same thought the other 364 days of the year. FAST FORWARD…. Two weeks ago, I was 20+ miles from my home helping to build a playground for inner city children in Cleveland. How proud of myself I felt as I was serving others and “giving back”. I am sitting beside another volunteer and we begin to engage in the proverbial small talk. You know what I am talking about. Where do you live? Do you have children? What do you do? I asked her the first question and she answered Twinsburg. I live in twinsburg as well, I smiled. Where in Twinsburg, I asked. Near Chamberlain she responded. Me too! This didn’t seem too unexpected until she said the street name….MY STREET. Are you kidding me…which part…I mean there was no way she lived close to me. I am a good neighbour…I know my neighbors. She said the address and it was literally two houses from me. OUCH!!!!! I immediately tried to protect my reputation and reminded her that I had baked her cookies for the last two years. At the same time the little voice in my said…but you still don’t know who she is. We laughed about the coincidence,,,.but laughter was not enough to cover up the conviction that I felt. I was deeply reminded that sometimes the great lessons come when we are humbled. God reminded me the importance of reaching out to others and being a light wherever we are. I made a great friend that day, learned a hard lesson…but saw God continue to stretch me and love me. Now…I need to go bake some more cookies.

No comments: